Amy's Reviews > Promise Not to Tell

Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon

Dec 26, 2009

liked it

If this had been my first introduction to Jennifer McMahon's writing, I would have totally loved this book. Having just read Dismantled though (which I would consider one of the best thrillers I have read this year), I think I was a little disappointed with this one.

School Nurse, Kate Cypher, has returned to her home in rural Vermont to care for her mom who has Alzheimer's. The night she arrives, a young girl in town is murdered in a horrific murder that eerily is the same as a murder that took place during Kate's childhood to one of her friends.

The book flashes forward and through the past of these two murders, one to a social outcast named Del who is nicknamed the "potato girl" and is mistreated by her friends and family. The other murder that has taken place to another young girl in a similar way. The mystery of these two murders ends up colliding together as Kate begins to pull the pieces of these two murders together.

It is definitely a ghost story, a mystery, and a coming-of-age story that is pulled all together. Much like McMahon's other books, it is a twisted story that pulls together with a nice twist at the end.

If you haven't read McMahon before, I would recommend this one, but I definitely enjoyed Dismantled a little bit more than this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Not to Tell.