Mag's Reviews > In Search of Memory: The Emergence of a New Science of Mind

In Search of Memory by Eric R. Kandel

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, memoir, neuroscience
Read from December 01 to 27, 2006 — I own a copy

A unique blend of memoir and science describing Kandel’s (Nobel prize winner for Physiology or Medicine in 2000) quest for memory both at the personal and scientific level.
Kandel, a 9 year old Jew in Vienna in 1938, starts his book with his memories of Anschluss and Kristallnacht, describes the vividness of these memories and how years later they made him interested in why and how certain memories are remembered while others are lost. Throughout his career, he tackled brain and memory research at different levels from molecular biology to psychoanalysis, his most groundbreaking research being on Aplysia, a sea snail with very simple, yet molecularly big nervous system. All stages of this research are described exquisitely well in the book.

Extremely informative and enlightening on all levels. I could have lived without some parts of the personal account, though. In particular, I had a bit of a problem with the overly self-righteous tone of some of his personal tales.

Link: Kandel’s lecture on memory loss and aging
http://www.iwf.de/iwf/do/mkat/details.aspx?Signatur=C 12884

4.5/5
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Memory.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Merilee (new)

Merilee Can't wait to read it!

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Nice review Mag. For some reason this title keeps popping up all over the place.

message 1: by Mag (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mag Thanks. It is intimately connected to The Memory Palace so I dug it up from the past... I think that Bartok must have mentioned it twice already in her book even though I have read a tenth of it so far. I really like her writing.