Wendy Darling's Reviews > The Westing Game

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

A well-written, twisty puzzle of a mystery, filled with fantastic clues, unforgettable characters, and countless red herrings. Turtle Wexler will always be a hero to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Westing Game.

Quotes Wendy Darling Liked

Ellen Raskin
“Smiling without good reason is demeaning.”
Ellen Raskin, The Westing Game

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Crud. I'm going to have to read this now. It has been collecting dust on my to-read list.

Wendy Darling Oh yeah--this is one of those classics you have to read sometime, Lyn. Particularly if you enjoy twisty Agatha Christie style mysteries.

Logan I had forgotten about this book. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention! Looks like I've got another one for the pile...

Wendy Darling You haven't read it, Logan? It's one of my favorites! My husband never read it as a teenager either, so he's currently reading it aloud to me every night. :)

Logan That is so sweet! You know, it sounds so familiar that I may have read it as a kid, but I can't remember the story so perhaps not. I just put it on hold at the library. :)

Hannah one of my favorite books EVER.

Wendy Darling Still always good for a reread, Logan. :)

MINE TOO, Hannah! I heart Turtle Wexler.

Hannah I was just thinking the other day of everyone getting kicked and everyone limping and the mindfuck of that and...gaaaah, westing game.

Bonnie I picked this up at one of my used book sales a few months back... glad to know it's super fabulous! :)

Wendy Darling It's brilliant. I wish I could kick people who annoyed me.

Yay, I'm glad you're going to read it, Bonnie! I am quite sure you will enjoy.

Ceilidh Aw, I just saw that you rated this! "The Westing Game" was one of my favorites as a kid, loved it! Actually, if you asked my 5th grade self, it was a toss up between "The Westing Game," "The Egypt Game" and anything Sweet Valley High...wait, did I say that last one out loud?? ;)

Wendy Darling I love Westing Game, and I really like Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books, too. :) I also read tons of SVH, hah. No need to be embarrassed at all! I actually re-purchased a few SVHs recently for old time's sake. :)

Ceilidh Wendy Darling wrote: "I love Westing Game, and I really like Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books, too. :) I also read tons of SVH, hah. No need to be embarrassed at all! I actually re-purchased a few SVHs recently for old tim..."

We were recently cleaning out books at my Grandmother's house and I found, stashed in the back of a closet, several of my old SVH and SV Twins books. Goldmine!

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily this has been a favorite of mine since I was very young. I am antsy for my daughter to be old enough to read it.

message 15: by sanshow (new)

sanshow I so want to read this now the moment you mentioned it's like Agatha Christie ^ ^ And I've never read YA mystery before, so this should be interesting. Thanks for picking this up in your radar, Wendy!

message 16: by Kenya (new) - added it

Kenya Wright wow! Awesome rec. I'll add it to my TBR

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Riggsby Putting it on my TBR!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hipple I recently read reviews from a mother who read this as part of a mother/daughter book club & her less than stellar opinion made me afraid to re-read this as an adult since I loved it so much as a kid (she said the girls all loved it; the mothers not so much). So I'm really glad you're enjoying it again as an adult.