Mark's Reviews > Demons

1193629
Mar 18, 2010

liked it
Read in March, 2010

Very few times do I feel like I’m in a grudge match with a book. Dostoevsky’s Demons had me feeling that way. I refuse to blame the book for that because in this case I was a very poor reader. My faults include the following; I have literally no understanding of Russian history, why the characters acted they way they acted, what even the whole point of the novel was, all of this was lost on me due to my ignorance. Even sadder is I could barely keep the characters straight because, well just look at the names, they have a lot of syllables. Essentially the entire time I read this book I was confused and maybe a little bored. How or why I finished it I’m not sure, and if you were to ask me what happened I might be able to tell you in the broadest of strokes, if you were to ask that question in about a month there is no chance even the broadest of strokes would be able to be summoned. However, at the same time, this was a complex novel with an intricate plot that had I been able to fully follow it would surely have been most impressive. I may not look back at the time I spent reading this with any particular fondness, but I am happy to have read it, I think.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons.