Anne's Reviews > The Pretender

1720620
Dec 27, 09

bookshelves: romance, trashy-romance-novel, read-in-2009
Read in December, 2009

Wow! I loved the banter between the couple! In fact, I loved Agatha's banter with almost everyone around her. She was different than most of the heroines you find in historical romances, because even though she wasn't worldly, she never missed a beat when confronted with a strange situation. She thrived on the adventure of being thrust into a world of espionage, and even surpassed two of the best spies in England when it came to fitting the pieces of the puzzle together. Even though she was constantly underestimated by both Simon and her brother, Agatha never whined or complained, she just used it to her advantage. She officially wins my 'Favorite Heroine in a Romance Novel' award. Don't laugh! In my mind, this is a very prestigious honor that I'm bestowing on the author. Ahem.

I'm afraid my love for Agatha puts Simon in a bad position. I wanted him to wake up and get over thinking that he was irreplaceable in his organization! Grrr. I could have shaken the snot out of him several times over the course of the book. Usually, I want to shake the silly woman for not realizing how perfect the guy is, so this was a nice change. Eventually, he realized that his duty to England would always be second to his love for her, but it sure took him long enough to get there! Idiot. Ok, ok. He was pretty cute, and I forgave him.

As a side note, I have to wonder about the author a little when it comes to the sex scenes. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of steam. Maybe too much steam for poor Simon, if you get my drift. *Wink Wink* Yeah... You know how we all read these things because we love the 'fantasy lover' aspect? Don't deny it. Historical romances are not educational. Sure, we all tell ourselves that we are learning about a different time period, but deep down we know the truth. We want the yummy sex. We want the fantasy lover. 'Fantasy' being the operative word. I don't want to fantasize about hairy backs, a tiny penis, or man-boobs. In my mind, this fantasy also includes lovers who do not climax after ten seconds. Hello? Am alone here? I doubt it. If I wanted to fantasize about that, all I'd need to do is dredge up the image of fumbling around in the backseat of my boyfriend's car in high school. Yee-haw. I hope this is not a running theme in Ms. Bradley's books, because I intend to read the next book in this series as soon as possible.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pretender.

12/26/2009 page 55