Alisha B's Reviews > Visions of Sugar Plums

Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich

Jan 07, 10

Read in December, 2009

The book opens up with Diesel popping into Stephanie’s kitchen, telling her he’s been assigned to her to teach her Christmas cheer. He accompanies her as she tries to bring in Sandy Claws… sounds like a criminal caught stealing truckloads of cat litter, right? LOL… who is a toymaker hiring elves to handmake product in a wharehouse converted from a daycare (hence the need for elves, as the potties and other equipment are just the right size). Stephanie’s divorced and formerly-perfect sister has moved back in with mom and dad, and has found out she’s pregnant by her less-than-stellar boyfriend (who faints). Add to all of this, Grandma Mazur has a new studmuffin, and there’s a supervillain with electrical powers trying to kill them. It all adds up for some absolute craziness.

While I found it a fun and quit book, the super powers stuff kind of irked me. Honestly, I felt it was a bit of cheating on Evanovich’s part. I’ve always enjoyed the mystery-book aspect of the Plum books, but reaching for the paranormal makes me wonder if the next book will have aliens and spaceships to chase down her FTA’s on.

It’s quick, it’s fun, but it stretches credulity.

click for full review:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visions of Sugar Plums.

12/20/2009 page 6
4.03% "I found my copy this morning & couldn't resist another Plum, esp a X-mas one :-)"
12/20/2009 page 87
58.39% "oookay... I'm supposing this is going to end with Stephanie having dreamed the whole thing. Superheroes and elves? Really??"
12/20/2009 page 160
100% "While it was hilarious, the supernatural part of it sticks in my crawl a bit. I'd prefer Plum stayed closer to reality."