Kate Pierson's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

203364
Probably the most important book I've ever read. Very inspirational (and also compelling!).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Hayes You are one of many readers who described this book as inspiring or who gave it 5 STARS.

The authors of this book sought not merely to provide us with a rich reading experience, desirable and enjoyable for its own sake. They sought also to spur us to do something.

That is why, in the final chapter of their book, they recommended these actions:

Four Steps You Can Take in Ten Minutes:

1. Go to Global Giving or KIVA and open an account
2. Sponsor a girl or a woman through Plan International, Women for Women International, World Vision, or American Jewish World Service.
3. Sign up for e-mail updates at Women’s e-News and World Pulse
4. Join the CARE Action Network

(The GET INVOLVED page on the Half the Sky website is filled with other ways to get involved.)

That is also why, in addition, they revealed what they themselves did:

• Supported a program for runaway girls on Global Giving
• Lent money to a woman in Paraguay through Kiva
• Sponsored children through Plan International

It seems to me that we, who have read their book, ought to do likewise. We ought to say what we have done, hoping thereby not only to encourage others to read the book, but also to empower those others to do something: to make a difference for the girls and women about whom the book was written.

Something that I did: made a donation at the Global Giving website to a project for educating girls in Malawi. If you were inspired by this book, perhaps you will tell us something that you did.