Jackie's Reviews > When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions

When the Heart Waits by Sue Monk Kidd

Feb 08, 15

Read in February, 2010

I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who is going through a change and questioning it's pace, purpose and/or meaning.

"When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the Spirit laughs for what it has found" (118).

"Love consists of this, that two solitudes protect, and border, and salute each other" (167).

"I'd spent a lot of my life wearing masks to fit the occasion, being everything to everybody even if that mean being someone other than myself. Now, after long months of passionate wait and labor pains, it seemed that I was birthing more of my True Self. The real thing" (197).

"The tree full of butterflies spoke to me of the authenticity beginning to unfold inside of me, the wobbly new wings opening up...newness in my life...learning to lover herself and be in touch with her soul, to be here now, to become Delight and play with God" (198).

"still journey" ... "Overcoming my resistance to waiting meant coming to terms with the 'still journey.' I would have to give up the compulsion to keep my line moving at the world's pace. I would need to find my own pace, one that flowed with with rhythms of the earth and the Spirit, not with the frenzy of modern life." 11/28/09
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Heart Waits.