Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Why I Let My Hair Grow Out

2281988
Dec 19, 09

bookshelves: level-young-adult, read-2009, genre-fantasy, published-2000s
Read in December, 2009

Overall, I thought this book was pretty weak. I can't say I didn't enjoy reading it at all, because I did zip through it pretty quickly and I laughed out loud here and there. However, despite the fun subject matter and my own Irish heritage, I found myself wishing the book had been more carefully pulled together and more stringently edited.

In various sections, I found myself picking out cliched ideas or phrases. The first 25 pages or so kept repeating themselves in a way that made me wonder why the editor didn't suggest combining the first two chapters into one. Morgan is an extremely likeable narrator, but her forays into what she calls the Long-Ago annoyed the heck out of me because there were no explanations and no rules for her travel between time periods, or her apparent identity as a half-goddess. Fantasy books require a good deal of world-building, and this story didn't seem to have much of any, and because there was no specific world with rules and boundaries, a lot of the events of the latter half of the book just seemed ridiculous and contrived.

I almost wished, for that reason, that this had been a contemporary fiction story about a bike tour. I think it would hold up better if it was a teen romance rather than an attempt at fantasy. But though the book didn't really have a lot of literary quality to it, it was a good guilty pleasure kind of read and I'll definitely read the rest in the series, just to see how it all turns out. But this is just not going to be a favorite for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why I Let My Hair Grow Out.