Kirsty's Reviews > Noughts & Crosses

Oct 07, 2010

bookshelves: favourites
Recommended to Kirsty by: Rosie Plummer
Read from October 01 to 03, 2010

I finished reading this 4 days ago and I'm still thinking about it. This is only the first book in a trilogy, but wow, what a journey.

It tells the story of Callum and Sephy, teenagers in a world of racial divide - Crosses are the rich upper class and noughts are the poor lower class. Sephy is a Cross, Callum is a nought. They have been good friends since early childhood and as they age they find that their friendship gives way to stronger feelings. But then a bomb goes off and it shakes their beliefs to the core.

This is somewhat of a modern day Romeo and Juliet mixed with a fast paced thriller. There are many twists and turns throughout the book and it all feels fresh. The pages turned so quickly and there were no signs of slowing. I really got to know the main characters and felt their joy, pain and anguish as they fight to keep their friendship alive despite their cultural differences.

This book was, for me, a rollercoaster of emotions and it made me both laugh and cry in various places. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

(This book came with a shorter story An Eye for An Eye, which I also enjoyed a lot)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noughts & Crosses.

10/03/2010 page 479

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I've never heard of this. You've convinced me to add it!