Angela's Reviews > Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart

Dec 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: given-away
Read in January, 2010

Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart is a short novel but not entirely light reading. Claire faces some hard truths about her own life while caught in an unexpected romance and a bit of a mystery. The mystery bit of the novel captured most of my attention, although I'm not sure it is supposed to be the focus. Are the pages Claire is given to read really a lost first draft of Jane Austen's novel?

I found the novel to be a bit choppy, with transitions between story lines taking large jumps. While this mirrors the way Claire reads the Austen manuscript, it was frustrating because it made it hard to follow Claire's thought process through the novel. So much of what we learn of Claire comes from her realizations about her past but since the reader has seen nothing of that past there is no way to know if Claire's interpretations of events are clear. All of the characters could have used additional development as they seemed flat.

Although, Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart did make me want to pull out my copy of Pride and Prejudice to see how the stories compare, the novel just didn't work for me on some levels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart.