K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > The Tale of Peter Rabbit

Dec 19, 09

bookshelves: 501, childrens
Recommended to K.D. by: 501
Read in December, 2009, read count: 2

I also read this while inside the Booksale at Waltermart Munoz. So, it saved me money and space in my now crowded bedroom. I now own more than 800 books and my wife is already complaining!

This book is the first in the Rabbit series of Helen Beatrix Potter. If you saw the 2006 movie (starring the beautiful Renee Zellweger) of her life, she did not intend to become a writer as she was more of an illustrator. It was interesting because she is very good in both. As a proof, Peter Rabbit character has been institutionalized and is still very much around despite Potter being dead since 1943. Her books, this included, have been translated in many foreign languages that include Latin.

I like the story because it lets the children be themselves. In the story, Peter (the only boy among the 4 children) disobeyed his mother not to go to Mr. McGregor's garden. I think that he did that intentionally to seek revenge because his father ended up in a pie in that garden. It was mentioned in the story that this happened because of an accident but Mr. McGregor's character is that of a villain so I don't know about the accident part.

However, at the end of the story, Peter did not feel well while his 3 siblings ended up eating the blackberries. So, there goes the moral of the story: always obey your mother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Peter Rabbit.