Jenre's Reviews > Better Than Money

2620867
Dec 19, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary, m-m, romance
Read in December, 2009

This story is a follow on from The Meaning of Perfection which featured in the Sindustry 2 anthology and which I enjoyed a great deal. This time it's Jack who's our hero and first person narrator. Jack is a hooker who up until recently when his buddy, Felix, found love, was happy with his chosen profession. He's now starting to feel like he wishes he had someone special in his life too. At a party run by Felix and his lover Julian, Jack meets chauffeur Charlie. There's an attraction between them but Charlie is wary of starting a relationship with a hooker.

There was much to like with this story. Felix has a very matter-of-fact outlook on life and his job which I found quite refreshing. There's no angst or soul searching but rather a pragmatism in the way he goes about his job. Only ocassionally does he think about some of the more distasteful things he's had to do, showing us that it's not an easy option, even if Jack claims that it is most of the time. Charlie, too, surprised me. He didn't like what Jack did for a living but was happy to go slow and give himself a chance to come around to the idea. The only real flaw in the story was that there was quite a lot of extraneous detail given and I often found myself wondering why I needed such a detailed inventory of all Jack's actions. Quite a bit could have been cut from the story which would have made it a leaner, sharper read. Overall though this was a satisfying story and I was glad I got to see Jack get his HEA.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Better Than Money.