jess's Reviews > Pigs in Heaven

Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

Dec 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fiction
Read in December, 2009

After my intense experience with The Bean Trees, there was no question that I would follow up with Pigs In Heaven as quickly as the library could deliver it to me. The audiobook is read by C J Crit, the same person who read The Bean Trees audiobook. That continuity was nice - it really felt like volumes one and two of the Taylor & Turtle chronicles. While I was relieved to have more of Turtle's story, and feel some kind of resolution of their family's story, I can readily admit that I preferred The Bean Trees, although only a smidge. BT felt more like an unexpected gift, unwrapped carefully and totally surprising. PIH felt more formulaic and a little too "gotcha!" But it's a fantastic read if you can forgive the semi-contrived plot points.

The language in this book is beautiful, in the way that Barbara Kingsolver calls out the most extraordinary visuals and metaphors. Barbara Kingsolver writes sentences like Storm clouds with high pompadours have congregated on the western horizon offering the hope of cooler weather, but only the hope. There are a million more examples, but it would really be better if you read the book & found them yourself, catching your own breath when her words shift your perception.

Also, this is an epic roadtrip story, one of the best type of stories you can read. Additionally, the characters spend a ton of time in Washington and Oklahoma, two places I have major soft spots for in literature.... since I live/d in both.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pigs in Heaven.

Quotes jess Liked

Barbara Kingsolver
“I was so depressed I stopped using hair spray for three weeks.”
Barbara Kingsolver, Pigs in Heaven

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna I'm reading this both now too! I finished the Bean Trees a few weeks ago and now I'm rereading Pigs in Heaven (which I read as I teenager at my mom's suggestion--she was interested in it because of the legal elements). Have you read anything else of hers?

jess Anna wrote: "I'm reading this both now too! I finished the Bean Trees a few weeks ago and now I'm rereading Pigs in Heaven (which I read as I teenager at my mom's suggestion--she was interested in it because of..."

Well, I read this, the bean trees, and in college I read the poisonwood bible (although I plan to read it again). I also read the first few chapters of animal, vegetable, miracle but then the library wanted it back. I do plan to read more of her books... maybe all of them. She even has a a new one out!

Rick Jess, you captured my feelings about the book perfectly. I really enjoyed reading your review.