Megan's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: audio-book, post-apocalyptic, not-mine-library, favorites
Read from August 30 to September 03, 2011

Holy hell, is human nature truly so self-serving and brutal? Of course there is little for me to say about The Road that hasn't been said already. Father and son in a dead, grey, ash-filled post-apocalyptic world. Short, simple, powerful. Bleak, depressing, made me cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I bought this book way back when and was excited to start it...and then two weeks later, Oprah announced it was going to be her next book club book. :/ I still haven't recovered from that yet, so it's been sitting unread on my shelf for years!

Megan Ahaha! It's still pretty good, despite all that :)

message 3: by K. (new) - added it

K. Wendy Darling wrote: "I bought this book way back when and was excited to start it...and then two weeks later, Oprah announced it was going to be her next book club book. :/ I still haven't recovered from that yet, so i..."

That's hilarious! I was once at a bookstore for 15 minutes debating which cover of One Hundred Years of Solitude I should buy. The cheap one with the Oprah seal on it or the pricey one without. I chose without.

Wendy Darling I still do want to read this, it sounds amazing. I'll get over the Oprah hump eventually, I swear I will!

And K, we could so be BFFs in real life, hah!

K.D. Absolutely Megan, I have not read this too. Is it easy to read?

Megan K.D. wrote: "Megan, I have not read this too. Is it easy to read?"

KD I listed to the audioversion, erm... it was very easy to listen to ;) A lot of people have complained about the way this story is presented with a lack of quotation marks & punctuation in general.

That was not evident in the audio version, however. I found the story to be very engaging with a good flow.

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Megan. Looks like a book that I'd enjoy.