Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

2281988
Dec 18, 09

bookshelves: level-young-adult, series, read-2009, genre-fantasy, published-2000s
Read in December, 2009

Since the 7th Harry Potter book was published, I have been looking for a new series that could keep my interest. Twilight turned me off to the vampire genre, so I intentionally avoided the House of Night series for a good long while, turning instead to Hunger Games (which I loved), the Ruby Oliver series (which is hilarious and amazing), and Susan Beth Pfeffer's Moon Crashes trilogy for my series fix. But thanks to a great teenager at my library, I borrowed Marked. And I think I have found my next true guilty pleasure.

The thing I loved first about this book, and what made me keep reading the first page, and the first chapter, and beyond, is the voice of the main character, Zoey. Perhaps it's because Kristin Cast is still a teen herself, or maybe she and her mom just have a great ear for teenager-speak, but Zoey is great. Half of why I hated Twilight had to do with how passive and annoying Bella Swan is, and how she always seemed to sidestep the spotlight so she could give it to a boy. But Zoey is very much the center and the strength of this story, and vampyre or not, I want to follow her around and find out what's going to happen next.

I was also reminded of my beloved Harry Potter quite a bit. There are no wizards here, and there is a lot more language and sexual content in Marked than there would ever be in an HP book, but the concept of a boarding school wherein a seemingly normal everyday kid becomes something new and foreign to themselves is very similar and I think I like the House of Night as much as I like Hogwarts. And there are so many books yet to go!

I wouldn't label myself an avid fantasy reader, but I read a lot of YA, and this is really, really good. The voice spot-on, the dialogue is realistic and entertaining, and Zoey is a three-dimensional, flawed, and intriguing character whose adventures in "vampire finishing school" I can't wait to read. Consider me hooked.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.