Jessica Oban's Reviews > Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House

Fair Game by Valerie Plame Wilson

Feb 01, 10

bookshelves: spies, non-fiction, ographies-auto-bio-and-memiors
Recommended for: Spy lovers, not for people who get frustrated easily.
Read from January 18 to 28, 2010, read count: 1

Fair Game is a really wonderfull book, exploring the trials and tribulations of Valerie Wilson. She was the CIA officer who was, essentially, blamed for saying there were "weapons of mass distructions" when there were none.

Because every thing that is written by a former CIA officer has to be passed for clearence, a lot of the book is blacked out. So a page would read, "I was living in --------- for about ---------. It was beautiful, and the people where wonderful. One particular day in --------, I was chosen to find a certain target, --------. I sat in a ------ cafe and ordered ----------. A ------ walked in and ordered -----------, a sort of appetizer found in this part of the country. I knew from the vauge discription that I had been given earlier, that this was ----------, our -------. I found ---------."* Sometimes the black outs gone on for pages.

To combat this, the editor included an afterward that sort of fills in the blanks. It's meant to be read along side with the book, and while it does help, it would have been nice to read what Valerie had written before the CIA edited it. It was still a good read, and I suggest it for anyone who likes spies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fair Game.

01/19/2010 page 74
18.0% "Hard to read because every other paragraph is blocked out. Thanks CIA!"