Morgan F's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Yelena has a choice. She can either taste the Commander's food for poison before each meal, or be executed for her crime of killing a general's son. Thus, she chooses to the food taster. But things aren't so simple as the Commander's chief of security, Yalek, has poisoned her, and only by showing up for her daily antidote will she live. Adding to her complications, Yelena begins to develop magical powers and rebels try to control Ixia.

I read this book mostly because of all the buzz around it. When I started it, I was like "okay, nothing special", but then when I went to go eat dinner, I found that I didn't want to put the book down. As I read more and more of the novel, it sunk its hooks in deeper and deeper.

I loved it. It was a refreshingly original fantasy with good characters and a solid plot. It remained absorbing without resorting to gimmicks. Yelena was a good heroine. She wasn't whiny and had her own mind.

I also liked how the book wasn't revolved around romance. It was there, but subtly.

Just because I have so little to say about the book, shows how much I liked it. Usually I have a list of complaints.

Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting to read the sequel!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.

07/26/2010 page 165
46.0% "I can't put this book down!" 2 comments

Morgan F Everyone seems to love this book, so I feel like I have to read it.

I just started it, so I have no opinion thus far.

Kirsten I adore these books! Magic study gets even better! OOOOhhhh, I can't wait to see the reviews!

Alexa Ooo I need to read this book.

~Tina~ Yay's you liked=D

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I only read this book, but I liked it a lot.

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Why haven't I read this book yet!

oliviasbooks Yes, Nic, why?

~Tina~ I think you'd love this series Nic. Probably one of the best fantasy fiction I've ever read!
I read these books so fast that I really do need to re-read them again:)

Morgan F You'd like them, Nic.

Kristy I just recently read this book too, SOOOO Good!

message 12: by Nic (last edited Jul 30, 2010 12:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I'll have to put it on my hurry up and get list :)

Amber Nic..I have all 3 if you skulls like to borrow them.

Amber Lol. Phone put skulls! "Would" was what i was going for lol