emi Bevacqua's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: fiction, twins
Read from July 16 to 17, 2011

I love reading Audrey Niffenegger, like I love saying her name. Her writing and her name make me laugh out loud. I loved The Time Traveler's Wife and started out loving Her Fearful Symmetry even more. TTTW was just crazy bizarre entertainment, it wasn't like I could relate to anybody in it except for having a library degree; but in HFS there was biculturalism and twin daughters, two themes I've given years of thought to and so I really connected and bought in to the subject matter in addition to being amused and impressed by the writing.

I loved the story of Elspeth and Edwina Noblin, inseparable British identical twins who grow to alienate themselves from each other, over a devastating secret. One of them leaves England for Chicago, and one of them gives birth to twin daughters, one of them dies and bequeaths her London flat to the girls, now 21 and similarly inseparable yet headed for major conflict. There are delightful neighbors in London, OCD afflicted Martin and an independently wealthy cemetery academic; I loved everything about this story, until it all got a little bit too wacky for me to maintain suspended disbelief.

I'll still give whatever else Niffenegger writes a chance; but I wish this one had ended 100 pages sooner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.