Willa's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

Oct 23, 2007

Recommended to Willa by: Kimberly Denz
Recommended for: anyone with a sense of humor
Read in February, 2008

I never knew the end of the world could be so much fun! The basic plot is that Armageddon (the ultimate and final showdown between good and evil) is coming and an angel and a demon decide to team up and try to prevent it b/c if evil wins there'll be Hell to pay and if good wins it'll get really boring (in their opinions). And that's all that's basic about it! This is a truly entertaining journey through the imaginations of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

I've been a fan of Gaiman for a while, and I know I need to read (and will probably greatly enjoy) Pratchett, I just hadn't gotten around to it before, but I will definitely be making it more of a priority now.

The only thing that really bothers me about this book is the thought of how much of the humor I just didn't get. There are just so many religious, literary, pop culture, etc. references that I'm sure I missed many; and not being British probably didn't help me any!

However, there is plenty here for everyone with even the slightest sense of humor to enjoy. And for such a hilarious, fun book there's also quite a bit that will make you pause and reflect on your own beliefs. But that's certainly not necessary if all you want is a fun ride... Pratchett and Gaiman definitely deliver that!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.