Ben Loory's Reviews > Trout Fishing In America

Trout Fishing In America by Richard Brautigan

Dec 18, 09

richard brautigan is probably my favorite person in the world. which i suppose is kind of sad, because he's not in it anymore. this book is great, and very, very funny. his metaphors and one-liners are i think at an all-time high here. i don't like it as much as The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Western because it's still pretty fragmented, and not as much as the stories in Revenge of the Lawn: Stories 1962-1970 because the chapters aren't emotionally affecting for the most part. the book is primarily comedic. which is nice. it's nice to think of brautigan happy. it kinda bums me out that i prefer the books he wrote when he was bummed out. except, of course, for Willard and His Bowling Trophies, which pretty much just makes me want to die and i wish he'd never written it and never been sad and hopeless enough to write it. but anyway. this is a good book, and funny. very, very funny.

After he graduated from college, he went to Paris and became an Existentialist. He had a photograph taken of Existentialism and himself sitting at a sidewalk cafe. Pard was wearing a beard and he looked as if he had a huge soul, with barely enough room in his body to contain it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trout Fishing In America.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brian excuse me... i thought you were a trout stream.

i'm really enjoying hawkline right now and i did like willard. was willard really sad? i don't remember it being sad. maybe my emotions tricked me. i liked the line...'The doors are made out of mystery'. reminds me of uncertain staircases.

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen you know, i haven't started reading this one again because i really wasn't enjoying it before. i think it was the fragmentary nature, but also that i had just been reading the hawkline monster over and over again, so perfect in execution so everything else was dimmed by it. i haven't decided whether i should go back before the end of the year or not... :)

message 3: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Loory what happens at the end of the year??

message 4: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Loory Brian wrote: "was willard really sad? i don't remember it being sad."

it was beyond sad... it was like, frozen, hopeless bleak. at least that's how it seemed to me. maybe i was just having a bad week. sometimes i have bad weeks. usually when bad things happen. like reading books about how frozen, hopeless, and bleak everything is.