Zakiya the Walking Butterfly's Reviews > Silverwing

Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, 2010-books, adventure, atbynr, young-adult, ftlor, borrowing-or-library, may-2010, runner-up-favorites
Recommended to Zakiya by: GEMS (gifted program) teacher
Recommended for: Fantasy lovers
Read from April 05 to May 01, 2010

Silverwing is the first installment in the Silverwing series by Kenneth Oppel. It's about a young, newborn bat named Shade.

Synopsis:

Shade is a young silverwing bat, the runt of his colony. But he's determined to prove himself on the long, dangerous winter migration to Hibernaculum, millions of wingbeats to the south. During a fierce storm, he loses the others and soon faces the most incredible journey of his young life. Desperately searching for a way to rejoin his flock, Shade meets a remarkable cast of characters: Marina, a Brightwing bat with a strange metal band on her leg; Zephyr, a mystical albino bat with an unusual gift; and Goth, a gigantic carnivorous vampire bat. But which ones are friends and which ones are enemies? In this epic story of adventure and suspense, Shade is going to need all the help he can find -- if he hopes to ever see his family again.

My Review: I really liked Silverwing. It was a way to see the world in a different perspective, and interesting one at that. I wasn't all that surprised to figure out that we were to follow the "runt" though. I have read a few books prior to this one where the main characters are less popular, lower class, smaller/weaker, etc. to the people they are aiming to become. But, back to the appropriate topic, Silverwing is a book that I would recommend to even my younger cousin, who is only seven years old. Shade demonstrates how overcoming your peers' remarks can be useful. He made quite a few enemies along the way of reaching his colony at Hibernaculum, but he made it with the help of banded Marina. I am rating this book with four stars. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silverwing.

04/07/2010 page 1