emily's Reviews > Drood

Drood by Dan Simmons

Aug 02, 15

did not like it
bookshelves: 2010, fiction-historical, fiction, thrillers-and-suspense, ultimately-not-worth-it, victorian
Read from March 12 to 30, 2010

this book is, above all else, weird. i love simmons' Hyperion to death, and i could still see his style throughout the book... however, however. i will out myself as a bad english major by saying i am not a fan of mr. dickens at all. i find him ponderous; ironically, the narrator of 'drood' says at one point that dickens' failing as a writer is that he has excellent characters but no skill with plot, and i can't help but agree.

i started 'drood' hoping that simmons' take on dickens would make me like him more; instead, i felt like i was reading another dickens novel. which, of course, is a tribute to simmons as a writer, but it didn't make me love the book. it took me til at least halfway through to even realize what was actually happening, at which point i was intrigued enough to commit to finishing the book no matter how long it took me. the end is indeed a shock, and the whole book is an *awesome* take on dickens' last years. i just wish it had taken simmons 300 pages to tell the story instead of almost 800.

the overall moral of the story is, if you like dickens, *run* and pick up this book. if you don't like dickens but you like a good mystery, stroll to the bookstore and pick it up. if you don't like dickens and you don't have a week to spare in reading this book, skip it and pick up something else of simmons'; you don't want to miss out on him, but you'll appreciate him a lot more if you like his subject matter.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drood.