Joe's Reviews > Music for Chameleons

Music for Chameleons by Truman Capote

Dec 17, 09

Music for Chameleons is far more interesting and entertaining than The Dogs Bark, which I found to be very dry. So much so I put it down halfway through and haven't returned to it.

Although it can be a bit off putting to some that Capote is the protagonist in virtually every piece of writing it shouldn't come as a surprise. Capote was one of the biggest egomaniacial writers of all time. Fortunately, he had the talent to back up his ego. Unfortunately, his ego was also the cause of his eventual downfall.

Personally, I feel Music for Chameleons is some of the best writing Capote has ever done. Even my partner said this collection convinced him of Capote's greatness as a writer (and he's a hard sell when it comes to "important" writers of the past).

Derring-Do about Capote's escape from the long arm of the law aided by Pearl Bailey was hillarious. And Mojave, the one "fictional" piece about a not so happily married couple, was so engrossing and interesting that I longed for a novel further exploring the dynamics of these individuals.

I have a few more stories to wrap up and then I'll dive into Handcarved Coffins, the centerpiece of this collection and the one piece of writing most refer to when talking about this collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Music for Chameleons.