Rashida's Reviews > The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher

The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher by Molly Bang

Dec 17, 09

bookshelves: for-the-kid, favorites

My all time favorite children's book. It is a picture book with no words, so suitable for a range of ages. My 2 year old loves it, and this is a copy that was given to me when I was 11 years old, (I can tell from the inscription in which my godmother instructs me to keep the tradition alive). The story is never exactly the same from one retelling to the next, and there are always new details to pick up on, so it remains fresh and fun after years of reading. Everyone becomes a beloved character, even the strawberry snatcher. And it takes great wit and talent to make us care equally about the old grey lady who is trying to make it home with her farmer's market jewels, and the funny looking blue man who leaves toadstools in his footsteps and wants desperately to lay his hands on those berries. As I think about the book, it should be frightening. blue men, chases, swamps, disappearing forests, flying eels??? But it is whimsical and fun, a non-stop adventure, and a chance for little imaginations to take flight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher.