Becky's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: juvenile, favorites, fantasy, audio-books, ugly-cry
Read in January, 2010

Harry Potter's fifth year at Hogwarts is not his best. Almost everyone in the wizarding world belives that he's crazy. No one believes that Lord Voldemort has returned, his friends think he's just an attention seeker, Dumbledore won't even look at him, and, worst of all, the ministry of magic has started trying to control Hogwarts. Harry must stand strong; with Ron, Hermione, and the few friends he has left. He has to be the one voice that isn't afraid to tell the world to truth and to prepare them all for the worst. The rise of Lord Voldemort.

Listening to these books is amazing. I got the distinct feeling during this one, that I'd never actually read this book at all! Between the speed at which I devoured it, the movie, and my lack of re-reading, I have forgotten pretty much everything that happened in book 5.

I completely forgot that Ron and Hermione become prefects in this book. I actually forgot that that happens at all. I also forgot that Ron actually joins the Quidditch team in year five, not year six, as the movies would have us believe. AND that Harry was banned from playing Quidditch...AND that Hermione tried to free all the Hogwarts house elves...AND that Firenze starts teaching Divination...ANDAND, most importantly, I'd forgotten just how bad Umbridge really is. I feel that her character was downplayed for the movie. I remembered feeling really angry the whole time I read this book, but I couldn't remember why until now.

This re-reading is also reintroducing me to my favorite characters, who just don't get enough notice. For example, I am obsessed with Professor McGonagall. She is so many different kinds of amazing. She's a strict, no nonsense teacher, who cares about all her students and puts their well being before everything else. Also, she wears a lot of tartan.

Oh Harry Potter, just as good (if not better) the second time. JK Rowling, you are a genius.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

01/19/2010 page 554