Cathy 's Reviews > The Capture

The Capture by Kathryn Lasky

Dec 17, 09

bookshelves: animals, fantasy, juvenile, read-in-2009, young-adult
Read in December, 2009

A traditional kids-against-the-world story done in a very original way. The characters in this story are all owls. They start off very young and innocent and are forced to grow up very quickly when some evil owls take advantage of them. It turns into the beginning of an epic adventure which takes another 14 books to complete.

The book is a nice stepping-stone between first readers and young-adult fiction in reading difficulty, as well as in plot complexity and concepts. I think older grade school students and tweens would enjoy reading it themselves and slightly younger kids would enjoy having it read to them. I showed it to my 7 year-old and he didn't quite feel like he was up to tackling it on his own. There are some pretty serious ideas in this story, but they are introduced with minimum of fuss so I don't think kids will be disturbed. Rather, it seems like a great way for kids to start thinking about ideas like good vs. evil, overcoming fear, loyalty and even death. There is also a small amount of religious symbolism or allusion, enough to lend some grandeur to the tale but not so much as to spark that conversation unless an adult points it out.

The friend who recommended these books to me said that they'd prompted her son into doing additional research about owls and that it's become a real area of interest for him. This book did the same for me, to some degree at least; I don't have quite the obsessive nature that an 8 year-old has about his favorite topic. But I did enjoy learning more about the various owl species in the book and was prompted to do some extra research to verify some of the information and see additional photos about these fascinating creatures. I love books that are as educational as they are fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Capture.

12/17/2009 page 213
95.95% ""...there is always more goodness than evil in the world. But you know, you still got to work at it.""