Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

Mar 21, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2010

Bleeding Violet was intense, unique, and completely crazy (in the best way possible).

The tagline Crazy never looked so beautiful is definitely right. I've never read a novel quite like Bleeding Violet, and now I want more. Initially, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to connect with Hanna, because let's face it, she's got a few loose screws in her head. Yet, I found her to be a very enjoyable narrator, one who's tough and not afraid to take risks. She's crazy, but she's also sweet at times, and all she really wants is her mother to love her back.

The plot goes from normal, to weird, to insane, to WTF, to complete shock. Be prepared for some serious description every now and then about blood, killing, sex (which is done tastefully). Reeves kept me guessing and completely absorbed in the story.

Highlights: The characters in this novel were amazing, as well as the description. I also really enjoyed how imperfect the relationships all were. Each character really seemed to be their own person, unique. I loved how Reeves really took a chance with doing something crazy, something different when it comes to Bleeding Violet.

Lowlights: There were a few moments where I was going "Wait, I don't understand", so I had to back it up a few paragraphs to reread again. Other than that, it was awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Violet.