Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Jun 01, 2015

bookshelves: favorites, autographed, printed-book, own, high-fantasy-or-fantasy, june-reread
Read in June, 2010

Fast, fun, wicked, and an overall fantastic debut!

Sophie was a fantastic narrator, with a strong and humorous voice. She was easy to relate with, by the end of the first chapter I was already sympathetic to her. It's difficult not to enjoy her character! She's grown up all over the country, but now she's stuck in Hex Hall, trying to get a grip on her powers.

Each of the characters were well defined, and their own personalities shined. There seemed to be some cliches, but they were fun! While the mean girls seemed to just be...well, mean girls, I still enjoyed their presence. Hex Hall is filled with twists and turns you won't see coming, which makes for a fun and exciting debut novel. I'm looking forward to Hawkins follow up!

Highlights: It's been awhile since I've read a fun, fresh witch story, so this was a nice one to read. The plot moves along quickly, and the twists at the end were surprising. The magic was interesting too, although I wanted more!

Lowlights: I wanted the supporting characters to have a bit more depth. Some of them felt a bit too cliche (mean girls, romantic interest).

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.