Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Jan 04, 10

bookshelves: fiction, suspense, thriller
Read in December, 2009

The Lost Symbol falls between Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code for me. I really enjoyed A&D, didn't like Vinci at all and this book merits an okay "meh" from me. But up until about the last fourth of the book or so, I really liked it! So why?

I loved the descriptions of D.C. I loved the explanations of symbolism and a few of the lore sections about things such as the finger pointing up explanation that athletes do. There was no resting either, the book just flies along stringing action between explanation until I felt like my head was going to burst with so much information. And I was pleased he wasn't delving too deeply into the religious aspect of it all - until the end.

Unlike some other reviews I've read, I did enjoy the shoutouts to various social networks. It made the characters come alive for me. There were a few shock moments for me as well and I fell hook, line and sinker for a few moments in the book that turned out to be different than they appeared. Again, a lot of fun until the end.

In the end I felt as if I was being preached at. I don't care if it's a secular or a religious book, I hate being preached at. Inside this 500 page novel it appears as if Mr. Brown has decided to let us all know that those who are "worthy" will achieve status as "Gods". I don't want to hear that, I want to read a good story.

My advice to those who want to read this book is to take it with a grain of salt. What I've pulled out of it is some interesting facts about Washington D.C. that I intend to research on my own and I've discarded a lot of nonsense that seems to be thrown out there just to cause controversy and get the book to sell.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.