Anna's Reviews > After

Mar 07, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, read-in-2010, did-not-finish
Read from February 28 to March 07, 2010

Ugh. Well, I don't know what to say. I have to stop reading this. A part of me is curious and wants to keep going but 3/4 of me is totally emotionally drained, confused, and tired of this character. And that part wins. I quit on page 179.

This is a weird book. I mean, the premise is very interesting. Girl has a baby and leaves it in the dumpster and gets caught. Of course, you're automatically curious. You want to know why she did it and, more than anything, you want to know what was going through her mind, right? Well, this book is annoying as hell because it doesn't actually ever tell you anything that Devon, the main character, was thinking! Devon's not even the narrator -- this is told through third person point of view -- so no one really seems to know what was going on. And for a while that can work but after about page 100, I wanted some answers.

This is quite long for a YA novel. I can do long. I love reading. But this just totally drained me. And I wanted to like Devon. I wanted to empathize. I wanted to care. But I'm more than halfway through the book and I feel like I have no idea what's going on and I am so tired. So, I quit.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After.

03/06/2010 page 111
31.71% "Honestly, this is painful and draining to read."

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loy Son Let me know how this one goes :)

message 2: by mia (new) - added it

mia oohh, i liked this one lots. can't wait to see what you think!

message 3: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Thanks for the heads up... I am literally on page 1. And I left the book in my car so I won't be able to read a couple of pages before bed. :(