Nick Black's Reviews > An Introduction to Cosmochemistry

An Introduction to Cosmochemistry by Charles R. Cowley

Jan 03, 10

bookshelves: she-blinded-me-with-science
Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy

ugh. if i wanted to read about mineralogy i wouldn't have always drank before earth science labs. this is all the boring of geology (plate scratchings, anyone? some lustre, some lines of cleavage, some fracture, some gneiss and shale and slate and suck?) but it won't even help me to determine whether my basement will collapse in ten years or, finding myself caught without supply one in a gabbro- and dolomite-colored future, its biota conquered by long-suffering and finally erumpent Xenoliths from the Mantle of the Earth, slaving for schistwrecks in their merciless Lithostratigraphic Mining Zones, what rocks might be safely metasomatized (answer: none, unless you're a lithophagic bivalve or, like, the avatar of Hutton's Uniformitarianism pursuing Werner's Neptunism's last followers to the ends of the earth or at least its Angular Unconformities*, so really what was the point of two weeks of Rock Lab?).

it looked pretty authoritative, though, and definitely had a delightfully irritated tone regarding out-of-date sources. any updated edition will call for jihad.

* yes, these were both actual 18th century scientific dogmas

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Introduction to Cosmochemistry.