Heather's Reviews > Envy

2098381
Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: 2010, ya, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy

Oh the angst! My heart bleeds. Henry made me cry. Diana made me grit my teeth and Elizabeth made me sigh in exasperation. What's next I ask you?

While this series is ridiculous and completely over the top, it is a fabby guilty pleasure read. I swear the characters, apart from Penelope, are a few grapes short of a bushel, but vati are they entertaining.

Penelope has successfully trapped Henry into marring her, but because she is an evil, scheming wench, he is refusing to bed her, lol. She is certain that if she can destroy Diana's reputation, she can win Henry back, as if she ever had him, and therefore assigning her brother, Grayson, the mission of re-deflowering Diana Holland. (For those of you new to this series, Henry had his way with Diana on a bear skinned rug in Rumors, vair entertaining). Alas, things don't quite work out as Penelope intended, surprise surprise.

Elizabeth is still reeling from Will's death but is finding solace in Teddy Cutting, who just gets cuter by the minute. Sadly, Teddy, completely unaware of his appeal, sets out to war to win the respect and love of Elizabeth, which he was already well on his way of winning. This wouldn't be so bad if Elizabeth wasn't pregnant with Will's child. But she is and therefore ends up marrying Mr. Carnes in Teddy's absence. This caused me a great deal of frustration as I just know that Mr. Carnes is suspect and surely played a part in Will's unfortunate demise. Boo to that. Hopefully Mr. Carnes will meet a bad end and kick the bucket allowing Elizabeth to marry Teddy.

Lina is in lurve with a new character, Leland, and though I can't stand her, I find myself wanting her to nab him. Odd. Even more to my chagrin was that I actually felt sorry for her when her patron died and secretly hoped that he would will her his fortune, which he did. Didn't see that one coming :)

Diana. This character is frustrating to no end as she is quick to jump to conclusions, though I can't blame her, and causes her own troubles by following that hot temper of hers. But I like her, cause I would be a liar if I said that I didn't do the same things myself. I was a bit repulsed that she did the deed with Grayson, as he is described as having eyes that are too close together, and as a result, I was envisioning a #10 session with someone who looked like a fish. Hopefully she can find Henry in book 4 and put that disturbing image to rest.

Henry, oh I still love Henry, though he is incredibly stupid. I was so annoyed with him throughout this book and was nearly ready to throw my copy across the room, but I just couldn't do it, cause I lobes him in spite of his stupidity. Just when I was about to loose all faith in him, he enlists and sends Diana a fabby letter that reduced me to tears, and once again, Henry has earned his way back into my good graces.

Now all I have to decide is whether or not to run out to the store and buy Splendor in hardback or wait a year for it to come out in trade paper. Decisions decisions.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Envy.

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit ***APPLAUDS***

Excellent, you almost (but not quite) tempt me to read this one.

Heather LOL, thank you.

If you are ever bored and want to be shamefully entertained, I would suggest reading it ;)

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana This reviews reads as if it's written just for me:)

Vair vair amusant.

Heather Well, I was writing it with you in mind actually :)

message 5: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 11, 2010 08:37AM) (new)

Tatiana I am flattered and thank you. I am pretty sure your review is better than the book itself:)

Heather Well now I'm flattered. Thank you.

I liked the book better, but I pretty much summed it up for you. lol

Angie Great review! Can you believe this series? I feel the same way as you about all the characters. And I am actually afraid to start #4 because they might all meet a bad end except Penelope and then I will be forced to rent my hair...

Heather Thanks! And LOL. I know! I can't stand Penelope. All I want is for Henry and Di to get together and for Elizabeth to marry Teddy. That's all I want and I am terrified that I'm not going to get either.

Angie That is exactly what I want. And it's not too much to ask, either, not after FOUR books of drama. Sheesh.

Heather If those four don't get there happy ending I will certainly chuck Splendor across the room.