Heather's Reviews > Rumors

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: 2009, ya, historical-fiction
Recommended for: Gossip Girl and Soap Opera fans
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** It is with a great deal of shame that I confess to finding this book and series so freakin entertaining. But alas, I am hooked on this garbage. I would even claim to love it if it weren't for the obsessive mentions of clothing. Some pages drown in silk, satin and lamb skin gloves. I didn't know they made lambskin gloves for hands. Regardless, after a very slow start, and 150 pages, Rumors finally began to pick up speed and ended rather spectacularly, though abruptly.

Things we now know are:

Penelope is an evil tart with no pride or morals.

Diana is childish and a bit self absorbed, though I suppose that is part of her charm. I guess we are meant to feel sympathy towards her as she has lost her beloved Henry after he was forced to marry the evil Penelope in order to save his beloved's reputation once knowledge of their fornication on a bear skin rug was conveyed to Penelope via Lina. Long story, you will have to read the book for more details.

Elizabeth is completely stupid and naive, but somehow, I still manage to like her. I don’t know why. She finally found her happy ending with Will then ruined it when she finds out about her mother's ailing health. As if she could do something, she and Will go back to New York where they provide no help. Couldn't have seen that one coming. Once Elizabeth's mother confirms that she and Will are basically useless and therefore must leave New York, they set out to do just that. Sadly they never make it as all of New York are under the impression that Will kidnapped Elizabeth and thus kill him stone dead in a train station. Normally that sort of scene would make me cry, but as it were, I was overtaken with a fit of the giggles.

Lina could fall off a bridge and I would not care. She now has a benefactor, which is kinda creepy; who she scored after confessing to Tristan that she was penniless. For some reason he is helping her in her endeavor to become even more self important. I suppose he will try and bribe her in the next installment. We shall see.

Henry, though I love him, is just as dim witted as the rest. If only he would allow his father to disinherit him, he could have his beloved. But as he is allowing his father to control his life, I'm guessing that his true love is money, with Diana coming in a close second. Maybe he will get a clue by Splendor?

I will continue on with Envy, as I want to know how this contrived train wreck ends :)
23 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumors.

12/21/2009 page 1
0.24% "Yes, I am reading book 2 of this garbage and I'm not afraid to admit it :)" 14 comments
12/23/2009 page 156
36.88% "This Penelope character has no pridenosity..." 1 comment

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 28, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Tatiana Thanks for the summary:)

Are "Gossip Girls" next on your TBR?

Heather You're welcome. I knew you were just dying to know what happens :)

And oh no, I'm not starting that. Watching the show is bad enough, lol.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I am renting season 1 BTW. We'll see if I can get through it:)

Heather I haven't seen season 1 myself. I'm going to order it when I get Netflix :)

message 5: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Netflix has a free trial too BTW. You can sign up for like 4 DVDs at a time trial and then choose something cheaper later. That's what I did.

What season are they on again?

Heather Good to know! Thanks...

Season 3 I believe. It's getting sordid :)

message 7: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana What do you mean?

Heather Hard to explain. It's a typical soap opera. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.