Katie's Reviews > A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

bookshelves: fantasy-science-fiction-chapter
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** A Rag, A Bone and a Hank of Hair
5 out of 5 stars
Fisk’s futuristic novel was one that captivated my attention throughout the entire book. The story, for the majority, was told in chronological order. The story was about a futuristic society in which everyone is perfect and cannot feel pain, similar to the society in The Giver. The main character is a, “reborn” which means he has been cloned. He is forced to live out a scenario with other reborns, and he does not find out he is a reborn until the end of the book. Fisk did a marvelous job of keeping the reader interested by his mysterious way of writing. There was quite a bit of dialogue in the book, which was interesting and kept the reader’s attention. I found it rather strange that the author did not break the text up into chapters. Because of the high level of mystery in the text, I think it would have added more suspense if Fisk had used chapters.
I gave the book five out of five stars, because of the way Fisk wrote the book. It was one that I could not put down, and the text made the reader think and analyze what was occurring. The recommended reading level for the book would be for students between the fifth and sixth grades. I do not think children younger than this would be able to follow the intricate plot. Students will be able to relate to being deceived, and to forming a strong bond with people unlike themselves. Two subject areas into which the book could be integrated could be language arts and science. For a science lesson, students could delve deeper into the process of cloning. For older grades, a discussion about the ethics of cloning could be a good tool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lulu (new)

Lulu We began this in class aged eight. I'm turning eighteen tomorrow, and we never finished it. I was going to buy it for nostalgia's sake - wanted to check out reviews to know I'd got the right book. After waiting ten years to finish it, you just spoilt the whole book for me.

Please give spoiler warnings, is all I ask. Hm.