Kristie's Reviews > The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew--Three Women Search for Understanding

The Faith Club by Ranya Tabari Idliby

F 50x66
Dec 15, 2009

it was ok

Mom, thanks for sending me the book. :)

When I taught high school English, I tried to have class discussions about the books we read. The boys would have a hot debate by arguing and sometimes even yelling to make their points. They wanted to "win." The girls, on the other hand, were eager to agree. They would rarely challenge another girl on a point and they would try as hard as they could to find "common ground."

I think a similar problem occurs in this book. The three women are so eager to agree and find harmony with one another that they rarely tackle sensitive issues or push each other on points. (The only place where they do so is in their discussion of Palestine.) I kept turning the pages, waiting for a heated debate about core issues that never surfaced. There seemed to be too much picking and choosing within their beliefs.

In the end, I think this book would have been much better if it had been between an imam, a rabbi and a pastor. I would have liked to read the discussion between people who were more knowledgeable about their religions and firmly rooted in their beliefs.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Faith Club.