Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Winter Study

Winter Study by Nevada Barr

Apr 26, 08

bookshelves: mystery, reviewed, fiction, novel
Recommended for: mystery book fans who would enjoy stories taking place in U.S. National Parks
Read in April, 2008

I just love Nevada Barr’s mysteries and I really enjoyed this one, even though there was not enough written about the wolves to satisfy me and there was a tad too much violence for my taste. I knew nothing about the winter wolf study before reading this book.

Reading about Anna Pigeon the park ranger in this mystery series that takes place in various national parks, I always learn so much about the natural world and they always make me want to go visit every U.S. national park.

Although I am extremely fond of the first very unique mystery book in this series, Track of the Cat, for the most part these books keep getting better and better (with just a few exceptions along the way.) The main character is no longer so morose and there is much more humor than in the early books. And this book is out of Mississippi which has been my least favorite locale so far (perhaps tying with New York,) and there’s been a few books on Mississippi recently, probably because Barr knows it best; I was glad to be back in more of a wilderness setting.

I do recommend that these be read in order, but I am a stickler for reading mystery series books in order, because I do enjoy the way the characters grow and change and I enjoy recognizing the references made to previous books.

The events in this book are set very much in the present; the current President of the U.S. is mentioned. I don’t remember the previous books’ events being so time specific, but maybe they’ve always been.

Beautifully written for a mystery book, and occasionally poetic with lines here and there that I enjoyed rereading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Study.