Nikoleta's Reviews > Whirligig

Whirligig by Paul Fleischman

Jan 17, 10

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-book
Read in December, 2009

Whirligig is about Brent Bishop. He is in love with the popular Brianna, but when at a party she rejects him, he gets drunk and is ready for a suicide. Although instead of killing himself, he kills a girl named Lea. Then instead of jail Lea's mother asks Brent to built 4 whirligigs in the 4 corners of the U.S., and then take pictures of them. He accepts the request and goes on an adventure around the U.S.
During reading this book, I made a text-to-world connection. It reminds me of all the innocent victims that die in car accidents, without even a chance. Although differently from this book a lot of the people that cause these accidents aren't caught.
I give this book 5 stars because I like how after Lea's death Brent was so depresses, that he accepted Lea's mother request for the whirligigs. He just wanted to get away from that atmosphere, from his parents, from Lea's parents, from everyone. I would recommend this book to people who like books about someone starting a new life, because of something that happened in his/her past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirligig.