Victoria's Reviews > Starcross

Starcross by Philip Reeve

Dec 15, 2009

Read in December, 2009

Just as over-the-top fun as the first book, the madcap space adventures of Art Mumby, his sister Myrtle, and their various companions continues.

The plot of this novel is odd and completely silly in the greatest possible way, and can best be summed up by this direct quote from the book, "The British Empire stands on the brink of an invasion by highly intelligent hats from the future!" Yes, you did read that right.

Once more, Art (and occasionally Myrtle) narrate through their journals with hilarious English aplomb. The illustrations are some of the best I've ever seen in books, and they add to the tale rather than distracting from it. Favorite characters will all return, and perhaps a few villains as well. There are new places, creatures, concepts, and gadgets, from vicious sand clams and intergalactic train systems to the colonized astroids of the Astroid Belt.

And when the main enemy of the book is something called a "moob" you just know it's going to be good. I mean, I had a blast just saying it to myself while reading, weird as that is.

Moob, moob, moob...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcross.