Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > The Grey King

The Grey King by Susan Cooper

Dec 15, 2009

bookshelves: recommended

*Happy sigh* I just finished rereading this one again last night. With the exception of the first book in the Dark is Rising series, I love all of them -- atmospheric, dreamy, and creepy, the lot of them. And steeped in old folklore and told in lovely prose so that they feel like they grew out of the ground instead of being written by a modern author.

I cannot recommend them highly enough . . . but do read them in order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grey King.

03/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Gensler Okay, you've convinced me to give up my current (less-than-satisfying) read and turn to Cooper. YAY!

Maggie Stiefvater Heh heh. I'm glad to know I can be persuasive! The first book is not necessary to understand the rest, and I found it completely different in character than the others, but some folks love it, so . . . . :D

Miss Clark Your description fits these books (minus the oddly off-putting first book) perfectly! Currently reading them for the first time.

Maggie Stiefvater I'm so glad you agree, Miss Clark! And yes, the first book is such an oddity.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I'm so glad you included the caveat about the first book. I tried to read it once, and couldn't get through it. I'll give it another go knowing that the rest of the series is 5-star worthy. :)

Maggie Stiefvater Lisa wrote: "I'm so glad you included the caveat about the first book. I tried to read it once, and couldn't get through it. I'll give it another go knowing that the rest of the series is 5-star worthy. :)"

I hope you love them too -- and yes, the first one is just very standard 80s children's fiction to my mind. Ye olde questing.

message 7: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina I started reading the sequence again, after I saw you recommend. It started the first book long time ago, and I never finished it. I agree the first book is nothing special but I just finished the green witch and can't wait to read the grey king

Douglas Larson I too loved this whole series. I read them more than 20 years ago. I do wonder, though on your comment about the first book in the series being an exception. I found that first book, Over Sea, Under Stone, to be a completely different tone that the other four. It has a tone more suited to children than the remaining books. My favorites were the 2nd, The Dark is Rising, and the 5th, Silver on the Tree. I found Greenwitch to be a bit boring and so it is my least favorite and I had to struggle to finish it. The Grey King, I found good and interesting but not up to par with Nos. 2 and 5. But despite my criticisms the entire series is exceptional and well worth reading.

Jillian Since I just finished reading Blue Lily, Lily Blue, but wanted more creepy folklore Welsh-ness I decided to reread this series! I'm glad to see that I wasn't imagining some of the similarities between the Raven Cycle and The Dark is Riding...

Mary Kate Just reading The Raven Boys and couldn't help but remember how into Welsh legends I became as a child, then remembered it was because of this book. I'm so happy (though shouldn't be surprised) to see that you loved it too! I'm a new fan of yours and can't wait to read the rest of the Raven Cycle (but at the same time am dreading finishing them--please write more!)