Lesley's Reviews > How to Say Goodbye in Robot

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

Dec 03, 2014

bookshelves: heavy, real, teen

Pros: I liked that the relationship in the book was not a typical friendship or romance--that's actually a big part of the book, how no one can quite define what Bea and Jonah are to each other, even them. The writing is wonderfully funny and evocative. There's not a single character that's a stereotype. I'd suggest it to fans of John Green, although its a girl obsessed with a quirky boy this time, instead of the other way around.

Cons: This is only really a con for me and won't deter me from recommending the book to teens, but I just didn't find Jonah at all appealing and it made it hard for me to relate to Bea. I totally believed that Bea adored him and that's what really matters, but I kept wondering why she kept putting so much energy into a relationship with someone who was so selfish and unkind. I guess there wouldn't have been much of a book if she hadn't! And of course I have only had perfectly healthy relationships my entire life (ha). I also found the Eccentric Characters to be Eccentric with a capital E, but there's also a good audience for that. I probably should have had my teen hat more firmly on my head as I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Say Goodbye in Robot.

Hayden You know, I didn't find Jonah appealing either--he's really a crank. But somehow the book still worked for me.