Patrick Trisler's Reviews > Sarum: The Novel of England

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd

Apr 20, 07

Read in January, 2007

Now this is a good Stonehenge book. Along with anything else that ever happened in Great Britain. This is one of those books that you have to say is 'sweeping in it's scope.' This book starts with neolithic man arriving in the Sarum area and follows certain bloodlines all the way to present day. It's huge. I learned more about British history with this book than I have with any history text book. I think its because its always presented from an individual as opposed to a national standpoint. Its one thing to hear that the Saxons invaded at such and such a time, but a completely different thing to hear how it affected the people that were being invaded. And what they wore, and how they talked and worshipped. The man also knows a ton about how they have cultivated and changed the land throughout time. The chapter on Stonehenge was great. I came away thinking 'yeah, that makes sense.' Whats really amazing is how time changes culture throughout this book and yet in each era we are given a completely believable and sympathetic set of characters.
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarum.