Erin's Reviews > True Colors

True Colors by Kristin Hannah

Dec 17, 09

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in December, 2009

Probably up it to 2.5 stars...and I will say it definitely improved after a major twist in the middle. But by that point, i was frustrated with it, the uninspired writing, and the cliched characters--so after the first 100 pages, I skimmed. The story focuses on 3 sisters on a ranch in the West, with an emotionally unavailable rancher father (who's pretty much a douche all the way through) and a mother dead from cancer when the girls are young. The fat oldest sister can't please her father, the middle sister is the peacemaker (and has no real story to speak of) and the youngest sister is the beloved gorgeous blonde, who does everything well and steals the hearts and minds of the town. Of course the fat sister is horribly jealous of the youngest sister, and most of the way through the book I wanted to strike her. Which...is not positive.

The love story of the younger sister turned out to be much more interesting than I originally thought it would be, and the conflicts with the older sister got worked out, but in a cliched way. The middle sister was mostly pointless. The plot twist (which begat a court trial...whuh?) added some intrigue, but by then Hannah had lost me!

I had a BIG issue with the fact the girls would call each other bitches when they were behaving badly. I have a sister, and we don't always agree, but I would never say to her "Stop being such a bitch." It just rubbed me the wrong way, and I've never heard other women say it to their sisters either. Just...no.

But I will admit--I shed a tear or two at the end. But I was emotionally manipulated, i swear it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.