Katie Carson's Reviews > The Doll People

The Doll People by Ann M. Martin

Dec 14, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-fiction

Although this book is a favorite on my bookshelves, many of my eighth grade girls seems reluctant to pick it up (by fourteen, you apparently should be over dolls, in the eyes of my students) and enthralled within the first few pages. The story about is about an old porcelain doll family who is bombarded with the arrival of a new plastic doll family, who do not respect their "dated" ways of life and The Doll Code of Honor.
This brought to my mind memories of my mom forcing her old Chrissy doll (I think her name was) on me. I hated the way her eyes were painted on and the funny yarn-looking hair she had. I found myself sidetracked often thinking about my doll days and how much imaginative energy goes into playing with these toys.
Like so many other personified toy stories, I feel that one of the reasons this book appealed to me so much was my constant connection back to creating interactions with my own dolls. Our textbook relates this idea to the concept that if we are making our toys talk like people, as readers, we are interested in seeing these toys talk on their own (without our direction). I compare it to the curiosity we all have about what our toys our doing when we are not around; a theme also present in books like Corduroy and Toy Story.
I also frequently found myself lost in Brian Selznick's illustrations. The creative perspectives of the dolls in action keep the reader moving throughout the story and are very appealing to interested eyes. I must say that the illustrations make the text far less intimidating to struggling readers, without compromising the quality of the story in the book.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doll People.