Lisa Vegan's Reviews > How Green Was My Valley

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

Oct 22, 07

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed, novel
Recommended for: everyone who enjoys a good novel, especially those interested in the Welsh/Wales
Read in January, 1966

My mother must have acquired this book shortly after it came out in America. Her mother was born in Wales, not from a mining family, I don’t think. Anyway, read her copy when I was twelve, and I still own it. (My mother had died by then, and my grandmother died before I was born so I never met my grandmother; I think the book made me feel closer to that part of the family. I had met a couple of the (Jewish) Welsh relatives when they visited the U.S.) But I remember that I did really like the family story and the writing style. Appreciated the Guide to Pronunciation of Welsh names that’s in the back of the book, even though it was only somewhat helpful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Green Was My Valley.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chas (new) - added it

Chas An absolutely fantastic read. What a coming of age book should be - you grow to love almost every character in the book.

Lisa Vegan It's been so long since I read it but I do remember really enjoying it. I'm glad that people are still reading it.