Susan's Reviews > The Eustace Diamonds

The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope

Mar 31, 10

bookshelves: re-read
Read in February, 2010

The third book in Trollope's political series that centers on the Pallisers. Lady Glencora plays a minor role in this book and so, really, does partisan politics.
The central character is Lizzie Eustace, a beautiful young woman who's recently widowed. Obviously her husband, Forian Eustace dies realizing he was "taken in" by a beautiful fortune hunter. Now Lizzie flaunts a £10,000 diamond necklace. She claims it's "hers" because he husband gave it to her; his attorneys claim it belongs to the estate and want the necklace to keep for her son. Lizzie refuses to give it up.
Lizzie is a marvelous character, unscrupulous, conniving, manipulating, but at the same time charming and vulnerable, looking for love. Lizzie and the lawyers battle on through a very long novel which includes the diamonds being stolen twice.
I'm rereading Trollope's political novels and this is not my favorite, but if you like Trollope you'll enjoy Lizzie--and see that conniving as she is she also illustrates the unenviable position of women in 19th century society.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eustace Diamonds.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cynthia This was one of my least favorite Trollope novel too.

Susan You know that's what I thought the first time I read it, but this time, I found Lizzie fascinating, a flawed and actually laughable early feminist, but one with staying power nonetheless.

Cynthia She sure had spunk. I'm sure I'll re-read it at some point and hopefully like it better just as you experienced.