Tina Burns's Reviews > Finding the Lost

Finding the Lost by Shannon K. Butcher

Dec 29, 09

Read in December, 2009

This is my 2nd Shannon Butcher book and while I liked the first one better, she's definitely holding my interest in her Sentinel Wars series. I hovered between 3 and 4 stars just for that reason. I like her twist to the plot device of "fate" as matchmaker. I like the world she's built. One of begrudged trust and dependency, evil just on the other side of the wall, and proud warriors waiting lifetimes for their one chance at relief, love.

There is a lot going on is this story, and often times with no clear warning you've stepped into another POV in a whole other place, whether that was the author choice or editor choice I don't know, but it was annoying enough to be a sticky point by the end of the book. Mrs. Butcher gives us a glimpse of possibilities for future books/secondary stories with the myriad of characters she's tossed into this story. My favorite is Madoc, albeit I do tend to gravitate toward the darkest heroes. Though based on the ending, Madoc's story will not be the next book, and possibly even one interwoven into the following books.

Paul and Andra, the hero and heroine of this book, were another star that got notched down. Paul was too beta for me, and Andra too alpha. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for beta heroes...love me some geeky hunks, but Paul is a warrior. An ancient warrior, with barely a thread of soul left, and he's ... soft to me. Andra on the other hand, is over powering, her love and guilt for the horror inflicted on her family is understandable, yet drains on the reader until literally almost the last chapter.

Overall, I appreciated the world story moving forward, and look forward to the next in the series, but I would have chosen a secondary story for Paul and Andra.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding the Lost.