Anne's Reviews > Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms

Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks by Ethan Gilsdorf

191585
Dec 31, 09

bookshelves: borrowed, non-fiction
Read in December, 2009

This was an interesting, if somewhat wandering, exploration of the different fantasy escape experiences and what, if any, value comes from them. The author's own perspective is clearly acknowledged: he's very conflicted about his "geek" past and doesn't quite know what to make of fantasy and it's possible role in his life now, so he heads out to explore geekdom in all it's varieties, from LARP to SCA to conventions such as Lake Geneva and Dragon*Con.

Ultimately, I think his perspectives are very interesting, and his experiences can be downright funny. It was an entertaining read. I'm not sure I learned a lot from it, but it did help to elucidate my own thoughts on the importance and role of fantasy and "escapism" in daily life. If you're a geek, this is recommended reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks.

12/20/2009 page 145