Margaret's Reviews > Archer's Goon

Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones

Sep 22, 13

bookshelves: children-s-and-ya-fiction, fantasy-and-science-fiction, authors-ij, favorites
Read in September, 2013

Archer's Goon is a mysterious large man who shows up one day in Howard Sykes's kitchen, refusing to leave until Howard's father Quentin delivers the two thousand words he owes. When Quentin won't deliver, the Sykes family finds out that their town is run by seven competing siblings who are wizards - and one of them needs those words.

Jones's plots are always mysterious, and I think Archer's Goon is up there with her most bizarre. But she does a wonderful job keeping the mystery intriguing right up through the end of the book, as Howard and his sister Awful try desperately to figure out what's going on before the seven siblings drive them all to distraction or worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archer's Goon.

09/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/22/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell I have never read this either! It is amazing, what I have not read.

Margaret Oh, you should definitely read this if you can scare up a copy -- it's in my top ten Jones books, in spite of the very confusing plot. (Of course, I also adore Fire and Hemlock, which has an even more confusing plot.)

message 3: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Margaret wrote: "Oh, you should definitely read this if you can scare up a copy -- it's in my top ten Jones books, in spite of the very confusing plot. (Of course, I also adore Fire and Hemlock, which has an even m..."

Fire and Hemlock is AWESOME, even if I couldn't exactly quite figure out the end.

Margaret Oh, lord, yes, the ending. rushthatspeaks had a couple of great posts about that on LJ a while back, and of course now I can't find them.

message 5: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Margaret wrote: "Oh, lord, yes, the ending. rushthatspeaks had a couple of great posts about that on LJ a while back, and of course now I can't find them."

YEAH, I thought I remembered those....there was some great Jones discussion a while back.