Natalia's Reviews > Holy Bible: TNIV - Today's New International Version, Thinline Bible

Holy Bible by Anonymous

Jan 09, 2010

liked it
Read in November, 2009

It was like watching a charlton heston movie (as far as the descriptions and 'feel' of it)! Lots of gore, violence, sex, fear and loathing... and uplifting notes to cope with it all! Great history book or moreso, book of 'memoirs'. As THE most talked about book going - I thought it should be read cover to cover. It did change my perspective on many 'religious' issues (as far as understanding what parts of particular religions come from the Bible and how they must have interpreted it) but, it didn't CLARIFY any of it. I guess that's why there has never been a global consensus and one big global 'religion'. I liked Jesus though. Can't figure out how he tolerates us though!

Only 3 stars because the accounts were written by people decades after they occurred, it may not be complete as there are so many missing/destroyed/damaged scrolls and there's no way of knowing what parts are parables or literal. Found it very confusing. :)

Love the hope, inspiration and faith it brings to so many though. Love, Light & Happiness!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Bible.

Mark Ward Natalia, three years later I encourage you to pick up a book expounding basic Christian doctrine. The Bible itself says that God gave teachers to the church (Ephesians 4:10 and following). You aren't supposed to read and understand the Bible completely on your own. I admire you for trying, however. It's more than I did for too many years as a Christian.

We simply don't know that accounts were written decades after they occurred, and even if they were (see Richard Bauckhanm's Jesus and the Eyewitnesses), what of it? Does that guarantee erros? And we have no evidence that there are missing/destroyed/damaged scriptures. There really are no existing candidates for additions to the canon; and we don't know of any.

Regarding metaphorical/parabolic vs. literal passages, I could say the same thing about F. Scott Fitzgerald or any good writer. No, there are no universally accepted norms for determining what's literal and what's not, but that doesn't make people give up. Christian exegetes (Bible scholars) work hard to give reasons for taking one passage literally and another not. And it's not always hard. When Jesus said "I am the door," we don't need to look for His hinges. When He said, "no one comes to the Father except through me," I think it's safe to say He meant it straightforwardly.

In any case, kudos to you for reading this must-read. Now go the extra mile and pick up a book on doctrine. Wayne Grudem is a trusted Christian name who's written a large systematic theology, an abridgment, and an abridged abdrigment. =)